Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tag as favorite
Reset to level 1
Dweeb
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:53:19 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I just encountered a new bug. 3 of my characters started leveling up WAY too easily. Like they were new characters rather than at very high levels. Then after resting instead of being the correct level one of them was level 1..... But he still had 999 hits and all of his high stats. But level 1 and no spells.

It happened to 3 characters and not the entire ranging party. I'm not sure why those 3 were affected and the others in the party weren't.

It seemed like they were leveling like a level 1 character but still showing their correct level and spells for a while prior to being switched to level 1. Luckily I thought to use a temporal gem early enough.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:31:00 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That does not sound good. It sounds like some kind of variable overflow. What were the class and race of the characters and what were their levels just before this happened?
Dweeb
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 1:30:09 PM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
That does not sound good. It sounds like some kind of variable overflow. What were the class and race of the characters and what were their levels just before this happened?

It was a Dwarf Samurai, a Halfling Ranger, and a Human Ranger....so I didn't see anything there that really tied them together. I'm not sure what their levels were, but they were very high (roughly 135-140 I believe).

I'm not positive how long it went on before I noticed. I noticed the Rangers gaining 2 levels from wiping out a group of monsters on level 10 but it didn't seem too odd. Then the Samurai (roughly level 135) gained a level from killing a spider on level 1 and I knew something was up. For a while nothing was wrong other than leveling up way too quickly (they still showed up as having their correct level and spells and everything). Then the Halfling Ranger was level 250ish+2, I rested him, and then instead of being level 252ish he was level 1. Still 999 hit points but no spells and level 1. I was able to use a temporal gem to undo this.

I'm afraid to use those 3 characters now.

Thanks for looking into it!
John Gaby
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:52:50 PM

Medals:

Hmm, level 250 sounds suspicious because 255 is a magic programming number. If the level was stored in a byte (which is possible since the code was ported from the original DOS version), then it would wrap around to 0 once it reached 256. I will take a look.
Dweeb
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 7:16:47 AM

Medals:

Ah, that sounds right. The character that was reset to level 1 was at a slightly higher level than the other 2. It probably was when he reached level 256 that he reset to level 1.
John Gaby
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:31:43 AM

Medals:

I will try and take a look. In the mean time, I would suggest that you don't try and go past level 255.