Tag as favorite
LDR stat ideas
apolis
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:07:46 PM

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi everyone,
I've been thinking about the Leadership statistic - it's sad that you spend so much time trying to roll a 17 to qualify as a Paladin, and then you never use that LDR stat again. Perhaps having a character with strong Leadership could improve the "morale" of the whole party. E.g. all fighters would hit more frequently; all spell casters would cast spells a little better; all characters would take a bit less damage if a character with strong LDR is in the party.

This "morale bonus" could be based on the Paladin with the highest LDR in your party. This would make it worth taking the trouble to roll a Paladin, and compensate for using a Paladin as your main fighter instead of a Samurai.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks very much!

Edit: Low LDR could also be a penalty, e.g. if you have an overpowered fighter with 25 STR and 25 DEX, but he has very low LDR, then he could fight really well but he'd be disruptive to the characters next to him in the party so they'd perform worse.
John Gaby
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:40:35 AM

Medals:

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are correct that the leadership stat should have some use. Also, Paladins as they are now are not all that useful. Let me give it some thought.
watf1090
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 4:44:45 PM

Medals:

Again, thanks for this post. Your idea on thr LDR influence sounds nightmarish but fun. For the record, I'm partial to Rangers, myself. Just as hard to roll as a Paladin (harder, I think), but so much more useful.
ah4tj5heev4
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:35:00 AM

Medals:

Groups:

Message was deleted by Moderator.
Gidoza
#5 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 9:28:36 AM

Medals:

John Gaby wrote:
You are correct that the leadership stat should have some use. Also, Paladins as they are now are not all that useful. Let me give it some thought.

I think we should go further than this. I’m rather disappointed that Intel is only useful on a Mage, or Wisdom for a Cleric etc...it means that for every given character nearly half the stats (especially on fighters) are meaningless. I’ll be honest - it makes the game seem pretty hollow. I’d rather think that every stat should always be meaningful for every class and every race at all times. For example, a high Intel Hirebrand would understand combat tactics better, resulting in an extra hit here and there; or with Wisdom, the Hirebrand takes less stupid risks in combat, resulting in a drop of his own AC. On the other hand, something like Strength for a Mage need not merely refer to.physical strength, but vocal and magical power: resulting in higher-damage spells. And so on.

The point here is that if every stat is designed to truly matter for every class, the amount of strategies we can use for our characters multiplies tenfold. So much of what could be is left untapped because stats are so restricted in their meaning. As a game-player - I can’t stand anything that’s meaningless in a game: best to give it equal meaning to everything else, or remove it and don’t distract me with meaningless things. Games are complex enough with plenty to do without distracting me and making me wonder about things that don’t matter. Make everything matter: then all my decisions require real, deep thought and are all very difficult but very meaningful.